Professionals Armadale Real Estate
19/193 Jull Street Armadale
Use our simple guide to help make sure your home stays just as you left it when you get back from your holiday.
So you’ve booked your holiday and you’re looking forward to unwinding and recharging your batteries. Whether you’re hitting the slopes or the beach, you’ll want to be able to relax, knowing that your home is safe in your absence.
Here are nine simple steps you can take before you leave.
1. Ask your trusted neighbours or friends if they can check your house each week while you’re away. Leave them your itinerary and contact details so they can get in touch if anything goes wrong.
2. Put any regular deliveries on hold, including your newspaper. You can also get Australia Post to hold your mail from one month up to a year.
3. Check all doors and windows to make sure they close and lock securely. Consider installing exterior lights activated by motion sensors.
4. Get trees and hedges trimmed to ensure your neighbours have good visibility of your house.
5. Move any valuables out of line of sight from the windows. Don’t hide valuables in the master bedroom – choose the attic, basement or children’s bedrooms instead.
6. Don’t leave ladders or toolboxes out in the garden or in an unlocked garden shed.
7. As much as possible, make it look like you’re in residence while you’re away:
8. Turn off and unplug appliances like your desktop computer, kettle and TV to save money and reduce the risk of an electrical fire.
9. It’s a great idea to organise contents insurance if you don’t have it already so that your belongings will be covered should the worst happen while you’re away.